Sunday, April 19, 2009

The NEED for ChAnGe...
The company that I work for is a multimillion dollar hotel resourcing firm for meeting planners. As for improvement to the company I would have to say they are doing well on their own as a “whole” company. As for separate departments within the company the marketing department is struggling. The marketing department is lacking communication, commitment and trust. The root of the issues stem from the marketing manager. I am in the sales and marketing department and we do not have a quota or number of leads that we need to produce each day or week. There has been an attempt by our manager to start using incentives (an idea that i introduced) for our team goals each month. For example our manager said she would take the top sales rep for each month out to lunch. January was the month that I generated the most sales leads and it’s almost the end of April and I have still not been taken out to lunch. That is one example of communication, commitment, and motivation that could be improved by the marketing manager. There are a number of examples that I could explain but I don’t want to bore you all. So, let’s take a look at how the manager could improve her communication for the marketing team.
I believe that time management and organization would be a great way to help my manager solve this problem. I know this because time management and organization has been a great theory to go by during college. There were many times that I balanced school, work, friends, relationships, family, clubs and travel into my life. I am not saying it was easy but also was a great learning experience for me so that I can apply it to the corporate world. Time management would help my manager understand the amount of work she has and the amount of time she can do it in. Organization will assist her with setting goals and prioritizing her job responsibilities. These tools will allow her to think with a clearer head and responsibly.
There have been so many incentives, promises, and team training that our manager said she would do for us. So I think being able to have her understand her time management and organization skills would give our marketing team a sense of stability and trust when it comes to our manager’s word. Right now we don’t believe anything that comes out of her mouth because everything she has said she would do has not happened. I do not have the authority to confront my manager about her work ethic or lack thereof. So I would have to introduce it in a very non threatening way. One approach I am going to try is to bring up certain incentives, promises and team training that would make her realize that she has not kept her word. I would approach it in a way that would not come across as threatening or demoting. By mentioning certain situations or promises that she has made would hopefully help her understand that she is not performing the way she should.

3 comments:

  1. Jennifer, I am glad to hear that you are at the top of your sales for the department. Not bad for an intern! I think that communication is key in any business and it seems like appreciation and communication are lacking. Possibly, it would be necessary to ask your manager to meet with you one day so you can go over some things. By communicating in a non threatening like manner as you described would perhaps should leadership and impress your manager. Sometimes you have to grab the bull by the horns! Glad to hear you are doing well in your internship and I hope the rest of the semester goes well for you!

    -Aaron Benson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jennifer,
    It sounds like you have a good feel for your manager's position as well as your own. It sounds like it can be frustrating working in an environment where there are issues that need to be resolved, but the job isn't getting done. If you are the one with the ideas, good for you! Incentives and quotas are great ways to effectively manage something. Even coming from an education standpoint- teachers use check-ups in the classroom (tests, midterms, report cards) to see if the student is effectively learning, as well as incentives (marble jars, class parties, field trips, extra recess time) when students do well. In the classroom I am placed, as my internship, I see the same types of miscommunication and frustrations. I hope I am better at these things when I teach, and it sounds like you will be great in a manager's position after you graduate. Best of luck to you! And try not to be too discouraged- only 2 weeks left of your internship! :)

    -Sarah Hill
    (BIS- Education and Music)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer,

    I always enjoy reading your blog and was impressed to the see that you are the top of your department in sales. It is funny how most of us have communication issues dealing with our current internships. It seems that no matter what we are dealing with in our lives, communication can either heal it or make it worse. You would think that people would have figured it out by now. If you have ideas do not be afraid to share them with people. Some people may not think whatever you have to say is a good idea, but that is because they are jealous that they did not figure it out first. I'm glad your internship has been good to you.

    ReplyDelete